Sleep is one of the most important physiological needs of the body, and quality sleep helps improve quality of life. Sleeping is a process when conscious mind is off the duty for a certain period of time and all body systems start resting, and several factors, which help the body repair and heal itself, come into play during this process.
We become purified, cleaned, rested and renewed while sleeping. These are possible with a quality sleep. Sleeping is a process when the body, brain and mind renew themselves and rest, and it is one of the most important criteria of a healthy and comfortable life.
Why is Sleep Important?
If you wake up tired, depressed and in no mood in the morning, it might be because you do not get a quality and deep sleep. The quality of sleep is more important than the quantity of sleep. It is scientifically demonstrated that not getting enough sleep weakens the immune system, causes premature aging and impairs the organ functions. Ensuring regular functioning of all body systems, particularly the nervous system and digestive system, quality sleep is the most important factor to keep the memory active and fresh.
Studies also show that not getting enough and quality sleep has adverse effects on the brain and body. The fact that sleep disorders and insomnia trigger serious diseases such as cancer, obesity, diabetes, depression, heart attack and Alzheimer's shows the importance of quality sleep. If you have difficulty in falling asleep, learn how a quality sleep should be and apply the techniques to improve your sleep quality. So, what should you do for a quality sleep? Here are the answers…
Suggestions for Better Sleep
We can say that you should firstly make sure that you are consistent about bed time and go to bed and get up at the same time every day for a quality sleep. When this cycle is regulated, you will feel sleepy at the same time every day and fall asleep easily.
• You must make the environment you sleep in completely dark for release of melatonin hormone, which helps repair of the body, cell renewal and regulation of the body biorhythm. You should avoid night lamp and blue light emitted by electronic devices in the bedroom for good sleep quality. Putting away electronic devices at least one hour before bed will also make it easier for you to fall asleep faster and help have a quality sleep.
• Stress-free mood is another factor ensuring a quality sleep. Healthy and calm mental state will make it easy to fall asleep. You can also find helpful tips in our article "Stress-Reducing Methods for Those Who Want to Feel Better".
• Sleeping in a cool environment is another criterion for a quality and restful sleep. Too low or too high bedroom temperature will make it difficult to fall asleep. The ideal bedroom temperature for a restful sleep is about 18 degrees. Setting ideal room temperature before going to bed can help you improve the quality of sleep.
• If it takes more than 20 minutes to fall asleep when you go to bed, you can try going to another room and engage in different activities until you feel sleepy. Reading a book or listening to relaxing music can also be helpful. Engaging in activities other than sleeping such as reading in your bed causes your brain not to associate it with sleep. So, go to your bed when you are ready to sleep and fall asleep.
•Avoid heavy meals and junk food shortly before going to bed. Full stomach will make it difficult to fall asleep, and functioning of the digestive system throughout the night will reduce sleep quality and put an extra load on your body.
• As the high amount of caffeine contained in coffee, green tea, black tea, cola, etc. stimulates the nervous system, it will make it difficult to fall asleep and get a quality sleep. Physicians recommend avoiding caffeine intake at least 12 hours before going to bed. Because the effect of caffeine lasts for at least 12 hours after intake.
Recommended For You
About Evliya Celebi His Life a...
We often hear of Evliya Celebi...Read More
The Life of Lionel Messi, The ...
Regarded as one of the best fo...Read More
Who is Ilber Ortayli, the Turk...
Being a figure that makes many...Read More